Microneedling is medical procedure used by physicians to treat various skin conditions. The technique involves using multiple tiny and sterile needles to puncture the skin and cause controlled microtrauma. This microtrauma forces the skin to activate the natural healing factors that help in rejuvenating and repairing the skin.
Microneedling is used for:
- Skin pigmentation issues
- Stretch marks
- Loose skin (such as after weight loss)
- Fine lines
Three Phases to Wound Repair
1) Inflammation: Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the area, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue
2) Proliferation: The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develop.
3) Remodeling: The wound is replaced with new dermal tissue and blood vessels.
At Gidda Medical Welless, we use the SkinPen which is the only Health Canada and FDA cleared Microneedling Device. As this is a controlled product, it is only available to Medical Physicians.
What to expect from your SkinPen Treatment:
- A plan for optimal results. Your physician may recommend a course of procedures based on your individual goals. Maintenance of your procedure might require multiple treatments.
- A comfortable procedure. Based on your needs, your physician will likely apply a topical numbing agent to the treatment area.
- A short procedure time. The treatment will likely take about 30 minutes.
- A mild sensation. Most patients report feeling only the slight vibration of SkinPen during the procedure.
- Minimal post-procedure effects. The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn. Additionally, the most common treatment responses experienced are dryness, rough skin, tightness, redness, itching, peeling, discomfort, tenderness, and burning. These conditions resolve over time without any further complications.
- Soothing aftercare. Your clinician will provide Skinfuse® LIFT, a clean, non-cytotoxic hydrogel used to prevent the skin from drying out post-treatment.
- An effective post-procedure protocol. Your provider might recommend an aftercare regimen.